Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Making A Brigid's Cross

So since Tony's going to be blacksmithing, I've been looking up some info about The Goddess Brigid (or St. Brigid). She is the Goddess of blacksmithing, among other things. February is Brigid's month & her holiday is called Imbolc, which is traditionally on February 1st. So...I thought due to the timing of Tony getting his blacksmithing tools & Imbolc being just around the corner, that it would be the perfect time to make a couple Brigid's Crosses.

Following along with the video below & using pipe cleaners like my friend Crystal suggested, I managed to make this Brigid's Cross in under 15 minutes. This was my test run, so now I'll try it with wheat stalks sometime this weekend. Stay tuned to see how those turn out ;) Really though, I don't think the pipe cleaners look all that bad & would be a great way to get the hang of it. With a little help, it would be simple enough for the kiddos.
bc

No comments: