Sunday, March 29, 2009

Candles, Cookies, & Tea

Last night was Earth Hour from 8:30-9:30pm. I made super yummy gluten free oatmeal raisin cookies...but I was out of brown sugar..so I used regular sugar & they turned out even better! Then I made a pot of tea before 8:30. We lit all the candles we could find in the house. It was beautiful! Tony & I were like, why don't we do this more often? We spent our time talking & then our daughter came home & got in on the action. She's 17...you'd think a teen would be like this is boring...but she really enjoyed it. When it was time to blow out the candles & go to bed, she was bummed.

We enjoyed ourselves so much that we are going to go 'power free' one night a week. No lights, no stereo, no tv, no computer...anything that can be turned off will get turned off. The fridge & all that stuff will stay on of course. We will allow one exception...& that is if our daughter has homework & needs to use the computer. That's pretty important stuff! Here are some pics of our Earth Hour:

Cookies & tea by candlelight. Divine! You can see what time it is on the stove if you look close.

Oooooo....pretty!

This is a close up of my hanging candle holder. I got it at Goodwill...it was a chandelier light for over a dining room table. Well, I repurposed it & viola! Candle holder.

2 comments:

Sarah Sullivan said...

Oh this is beautiful hon!!!! I will have to admit - I forgot!!!!???? Maybe not driving makes up for it? Wonderful pictures!! Hugs, Sarah

Anji Gallanos said...

I think the idea of going power free for a dedicated amount of time is a wonderful idea..it also might help us change out of the TV habit.