Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Rainy Day Coffee

A couple times a week we drive by the Rocket Bakery on Argonne. It always looks so warm & inviting through the windows...we promise ourselves that we'll check it out one of these days when we aren't in such a hurry. That day came May 20th.

Just the two of us...a rainy day.......A new ordinary adventure...we'd talk about my upcoming art show & what we'd do the rest of our day while leisurely sipping hot coffee & nibbling on pastries...Sounds romantic doesn't it?

I wish I could say that the Rocket Bakery lived up to my expectations...After all, they have been voted the best bakery in Spokane 5 times. However, I was quite dissapointed.

I ordered a Soy Cappicino & a Tripple Berry Scone. The Soy Cappicino tasted more like it had milk in it that soy, which I could live with...The scone however, was a entirely different story. I pulled it in half expecting to find more berries in the middle...there was not one berry on the inside of that scone. There were berries on the outside of the scone...so I counted them...SIX...yep SIX berries on the Tripple Berry Scone. Maybe it's just me, but I expect berries all through a scone. Seriously. Trying to make the best out of the situation, I ignored my annoyance with the berries & tasted the scone...I was even more dissapointed. The scone had very little taste to it...definately not the best scone I've ever had. It was not even good enough to nibble on...Why shove a pastry in my mouth that lacks any kind of guilty pleasure? It's not worth the extra calories & the extra chub on my thighs as a result.

Tony ordered a White Chocolate Mocha with whip & a Frosted Cinnamon Roll. The White Chocolate Mocha with whip was seriously lacking. First off, we couldn't distinguish which coffee was which. The Mocha did not taste sweet or like any kind of white chocolate. Finally Tony had to go ask which was which. The Frosted Cinnamon Roll was equally unimpressive. Tony described it as ok, but not memorable. It was just a basic cinnamon roll...the kind you get from the grocery store. He's a guy though, so the extra calories & chubby thighs were not a deterent to him, so he ate the whole thing.

We probably won't go back, unless we become curious & want to see if this was a one time event. I mean they have been voted best bakery in Spokane 5 times...& everyone has an off day now & then. However, as of today the thought of going back is rather unappealing. I'd rather try a different coffee place. A couple of good things I do have to say though is that their staff was very friendly & their bathrooms were clean & nicely decorated.

No comments: